THE FIRST TIME I ATE THE TENDER ELEPHANT GRASS

Growing up in a rural setting is a fascinating experience. Learning (formal and informal) in such an environment has its peculiarities. In primary schools in those days, extracurricular activities played a vital part in the end of term overall score. These activities ranged from the making of chairs, brooms, bamboo mats and, most importantly, to the fencing of the school toilet and urinary. What's important here is the material with which the fencing was done. It was done with the elephant grass stalk. It sufficed for one to visit the banks of River Bui to possess a good bundle of the elephant grass stalk for the task at school the next day.
Gathering Tender Elephant Grass
As I advanced in age, I later learnt to my greatest dismay that the elephant grass was not just a fencing tool but a delicacy in most kitchens. I had convinced myself "grass was grass" and would not taste it. At some point, I became intensely curious about its taste.  Inquisitively and anxiously, I made up my mind to taste it. 

 It required much determination to eat it as a beginner.  When I ate it for the first time, I had the impression it was half cooked though it wasn't as tough as I had expected. Chewing and swallowing a plate of it brought a change of perspective on how I had viewed the tender elephant grass. Be that as it may, I looked forward to savouring it again; the tender elephant grass and corn fufu.

Tender Elephant Grass

Mohammad Whyte

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NOTES ON KIKOH'S NEW SONG NGRIMBA

NGONNSO: THE CAGED GUIDING SPIRIT OF THE NSO PEOPLE

THE STONING CEREMONY